Friday 4 May 2012

Finally a diagnosis

Dear Jack

It's been a while since I've updated my blog because things have been very hectic.

On Thursday the 26th you went back to school for the first time in six weeks. Unlike you ;-), your class mates were very excited. You made me promise to pick you up at recess. Just as I was ready to come and get you, I got a phone call from a fellow at the hospital who said you needed another bone marrow aspirate and a lumbar puncture on Friday. Another bone marrow aspirate! I couldn't believe it. The fellow couldn't tell me why so I requested a phone call from Prof. Marshall. That phone call came when I got out of the car to drop Maya's medicine off at childcare. The news came as a big surprise: they had a diagnosis. Your third bone marrow aspirate had shown leukemia cells and Prof. Marshall could tell me without any doubt that you have ALL, the most common form of leukemia in kids. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to be happy or sad. Over the last few weeks, we've gone from "an infection, leukemia or aplastic anemia" to "definitely not an infection and not aplastic anemia" to "definitely not leukemia" to "myelofibrosis" to "probably secondary myelofribrosis so what's the primary disease?" to "aplastic anemia or an aggressive type of leukemia so we'll start preparing for a bone marrow transplant" to "let's either put you on medication for aplastic anemia or do nothing and see what happens" to "we've got a clear diagnosis of acute lymphoblastic leukemia". What a rollercoaster!

Now that I know you'll be getting treatment soon, I've been trying to squeeze in as many nice activities as possible.

Last Friday we had to be at the hospital at 7am, so we stayed overnight at Stirling's house. That was very nice for both of us.
The blood test in the morning went quite well. At 8am we had an appointment with Prof. Marshall who went through the treatment plan. Then it was off to surgery. In recovery, you took the opportunity to have a 2-hour nap whilst a nurse and I were sitting beside you. When you finally woke up. you got your first dose of steroids. Hm, I was warned for 'mood swings' as a side effect. That was the understatement of the year. I left the hospital a few hours later (after the 'after-surgery chips and pie') with a little boy screaming through the hospital "I WANT AN iPAD NOW!". That went on the whole way home. Eventually, I promised you a $10 toy from K-mart, which you accepted (phew!). The 'quick dash' to K-mart took forever as there were not a whole lot of $10 toys you were interested in.

We got home around 5pm and dad brought the girls back. Your tantrums continued throughout the evening and by the end of the day I was almost in tears.

On Saturday three ladies from our neighbours' church came to help me out a bit. One of them made caleidoscopes with Emily and you, which you took to Lana and Wills engagement party at Como Pleasure Grounds. After we spent a couple of hours at the party, you demanded a swim at Sutherland pool, so I called Fiona and half an hour later we had made it from the playground to the pool. Anything to stop the tantrums!

On Sunday my friend Kara, who you and Emily adore, came over to play with you. She brought Daisy, which was very exciting. In the afternoon, dad picked you up to take you fishing for a couple of hours.

The following day you and I went to the movies and had sushi afterwards. All stuff I can't afford, but I'll worry about that later. In the afternoon, we had to pick up Emily from childcare because of... nits! Just what I needed!

On Tuesday we had another oncology appointment where they went through all the side effects of the medication. For the first time since all of this started, I got a bit distressed on the way home. This is serious stuff. And everyone talks about the great prognosis but few people seem to realise what you have to go through to get to that great result.

On Wednesday, just as I thought I'd be able to work a couple of hours, I had to drive to Randwick Hospital with Maya because she was showing signs of chicken pocks, which would be dangerous for you and all other kids at oncology, so she had to be checked (couldn't be done at Sutherland Hospital, sigh!). 

Today you had your central line implanted under general anaesthetics and got your first chemo. Dad is in hospital with you and I'm at home with he girls.

So many people called and texted me today to wish you well. You've got a whole lot of people thinking of you, my dear Jack. Even Mrs. Basford from Como West called today.


Tomorrow the girls and I will be going to the Relay for Life, the charity event I've been talking about for months. Our team of 21 is called SuperJack's team and has already raised $4,150 for the Cancer Council. We'll be selling cupcakes, biscuits, cards, muffins etc. to raise even more tomorrow. The team mascot is a SuperJack cape. I think it's going to be a lot of fun. I had really hoped you'd be able to come along for a few hours but I don't think that'll be possible. In any case, there will be 21 people thinking of you a hoping you'll get better soon.

Lots of love
Mum

No comments:

Post a Comment