Friday 6 April 2012

Back in hospital

Dear Jack

Yesterday afternoon your temperature went over 38 degrees so I took you back to the hospital. I was pretty sure they were going to send us home again but I just wanted to be on the safe side. We spent several hours at the Emergency Department playing games, reading books and building a train track. Unfortunately, they had to do a blood test, put you on an antibiotic drip and keep you overnight.

This time we were taken to a different ward and we had a private room. Fabulous! And probably a good thing too, because once we were in the room I realised I was going to be in the same clothes for at least two days and a night. In my rush to get you to the hospital, I had packed an overnight bag for you with clean clothes, pyjamas, a toothbrush, dvds, books, toys etc.  but I hadn't packed a single thing for myself.  I've made a mental note to myself to keep an overnight bag in the car from now on.

You had a pretty good night and slept until 10.00am! You then needed another blood test. Your blood tests, cannulas and flushes are becoming more dramatic each time and you beg me to not have them. I pull out all my tricks to distract you, reassure you, comfort you... but they don't seem to work. And before anyone can come near you, you list your requests: a magic patch left on your arm for at least an hour, the butterfly needle for blood tests, a hot pack for afterwards, your arm wrapped in a pillow cover to keep it warm when cold fluids go in, the drip machine set on the lowest speed, the antibiotic drip diluted with lots of water... Luckily, all doctors and nurses go along with it. They're really great.

After lunch we went to the Starlight Express Room, where we played on the Wii for several hours until you had to go back to the room to get your blood transfusion.

Aunty Ky came to visit with Haiden and Jesse. Then dad arrived to take over from me so I could go home, have a shower and be with the girls tonight. You'll have to stay for a second night because they want you on the antibiotics for 48 hours.

I'm sure you're feeling much better since you've had your blood transfusion and I hope you'll have a good night sleep.

Love
Mum

1 comment:

  1. Hi Superjack,

    wauw, those clowns really looked funny. Wish we could have been there and have a good laugh together. We keep our thumbs up that you get better really soon.

    Take care and big hug from
    Lars, Arne, Annika & Chris

    ReplyDelete